Texas Tech University

Assistant Professor of Practice in Creative Media
College of Media & Communication
REQ# 10027BR

SUMMARY:
The College of Media & Communication (COMC) at Texas Tech University seeks a creative professional and teacher with production and post-production skills in film/video production and/or interactive multimedia design to lead a client-driven student production team. This is a non-tenure-track, full-time position, renewable annually based on performance.

TEACHING AND SERVICE:
Candidates should be prepared and credentialed to teach in the COMC’s online professional MA program in addition to teaching undergraduate face-to-face and online courses. Instructional duties would comprise 40% of this position’s overall assignment, equating to a teaching load of four courses (2/2) per 9-month academic year, with the opportunity to teach additional courses during summer or intersessions for additional compensation. The remaining 60% of the position would be devoted to leading a student, faculty and staff production team that produces traditional and digital publications and productions. Service duties include program-building, as well as a commitment to extra-curricular activities. Service to the department, college, and university is expected.

AFFILIATION:
This position would report to the Chair of the Department of Journalism & Electronic Media, and in most cases her/his teaching assignments would be in JEM/JOUR/EMC. Opportunities for media production will be developed through the College’s Center for Communication Research.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

  • 10-15 years combined post-secondary teaching and/or professional experience in media production, particularly with regard to film/video production, digital editing, audio, and web/multimedia design;
  • media sales, donor development, and/or administrative experience;
  • evidence of excellence in teaching and/or creative/commercial production (honors, awards, etc.);
  • skills in emerging content production techniques (e.g., digital delivery, virtual reality, etc.).

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  • 10-15 years combined post-secondary teaching and/or professional experience in media production, particularly with regard to film/video production, digital editing, audio, and web/multimedia design;
  • media sales, donor development, and/or administrative experience;
  • evidence of excellence in teaching and/or creative/commercial production (honors, awards, etc.);
  • skills in emerging content production techniques (e.g., digital delivery, virtual reality, etc.).

APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Review of applications will begin March 15, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. A complete description is available at http://www.depts.ttu.edu/comc/employment/. Apply on-line at http://careers.texastech.edu/. You will be asked to provide a curriculum vitae, graduate transcripts, a list of three references with complete addresses and phone numbers, a link to your professional portfolio, and a letter of application describing your teaching experience and creative/professional accomplishments. The Requisition Number for the position is 10027BR.

The search committee is headed by Drs. Glenn Cummins and Robert Peaslee, co-Chairs. Questions may be addressed to them at glenn.cummins@ttu.edu or robert.peaslee@ttu.edu or by calling +1 (806) 834-2562.

The preferred start date for employment is September 1, 2017 (Fall 2017).

ABOUT US:
The College of Media & Communication has approximately 1,650 undergraduate majors, 150 MA students and 36 Ph.D. students. It maintains high standards for teaching, even as its reputation as a media and communication research center grows. Junior faculty hires from top doctoral programs in recent years reflect the college’s ascendance. In addition to Hispanic and international communication, research strengths among college faculty include strategic, health, and political communication as well as social scientific research methods.

Texas Tech University is included among the elite group of 115 doctoral institutions that has received the “Highest Research Activity” designation in the 2015 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

EEO:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university welcomes applications from minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and dual-career couples.

About Kysh Brown