Why did we choose that city?
How AEJMC conference sites are selected.
Curious to know how the AEJMC Conference site is selected? There are a variety of major factors that are considered before the AEJMC Conference Manager can recommend a city to the AEJMC Board of Directors to consider for the AEJMC Annual Conference.
Conference city criteria is based on:
- Appeal of a city
- Efficiency and cost of air travel
- Ease and cost of transportation from airport to hotels
- Public transportation with a city
Other considerations would be:
- City, county and state taxes
- Easy access to museums, libraries, restaurants
- Recreation from potential hotels
- Concentration of journalism and mass communication programs
Intense effort is made to keep room costs as low as possible for attendees. Because the association meets in what has been the low part of the low season, it has been possible to negotiate reasonable rates in quality hotels. While there is less meeting activity in August, there is increasing pressure from vacation travel which affects rates in most of the upper half and significant portions of the lower half of the United States. Other costs to the association may also be considered when selecting the convention hotel.
Conference hotel criteria are based on:
- Hotel quality and size
- Cost to AEJMC delegates