Recent US court verdict infringes on privacy, according to former WikiLeaks aide

Share

By Dominic Rushe on The Guardian, Nov. 11, 2011 –

Icelandic MP and former WikiLeaks volunteer Birgitta Jonsdottir has slammed the decision by US courts to open her Twitter account to the US authorities and is taking her case to the Council of Europe.

On Thursday a US judge ruled Twitter must release the details of her account and those of two other Twitter users linked to WikiLeaks. Jonsdottir learned in January that her Twitter account was under scrutiny from the Justice Department because of her involvement last year with WikiLeaks’ release of a video showing a US military helicopter shooting two Reuters reporters in Iraq. She believes the US authorities want to use her information to try and build a case against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

Later in the article Jonsdottir said,

“I want everybody to be fully aware of the rights we apparently forfeit every time we sign one of these user agreements that no one reads,” said Jonsdottir.

Read the article on The Guardian.

 

Speak Your Mind

*


*